Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dori Csengeri fashion

http://www.pinse2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/mj.jpg


Give me a needle and thread, and I can maybe sew on a button. Maybe. Give Dori Csengeri a needle, thread, and some gemstones and this former textile designer will whip you up necklaces, rings, earrings, and more that are positively swoon-worthy. Dori uses embroidery techniques to create intricate loops, swirls, and whirls that form tactile backgrounds for a rainbow of sparkly gems, including Swarovski crystals. Her unique understanding of patterning means that Dori’s jewelry is complex but never over-the-top. In other words, that opulent necklace with the hand embroidered clasp will work just as well with an evening gown as with your favorite slouchy top and skinny jeans. Just don’t blame us if every time you wear one of Dori’s pieces, everyone just wants to reach out and touch you. Here’s more from the designer.
Oligoville: In five words or less, Dori Csengeri is. . .
Dori: . . . something different
Oligoville: How would you describe your ideal customer?
Dori: While designing, I can envision the woman who will wear my work. She has a defined taste and personality. I try to create for her something different, fresh and exciting, so she can play with me the game of fashion and participate in the creation of her own image. My jewelry presents the choice for every woman who does not want to blend into the background.
Oligoville: How’d you end up a designer?
Dori: During my studies of textile design, my dream was of becoming an important and interesting designer. Over the years, I was bothered by the fact that my textile designs “leave” me and that I have no control over the way the end-user sees them or uses them. My prints were scattered all over, in many countries and were never presented as one mass, as a collection of serious design work. Designing and making textile-based jewelry was the way to expressing and to fulfilling my dream.
Oligoville: How/when did you launch your brand?
Dori: My brand was actually launched in 1992, when we started working internationally. I started small, with one assistant. Today I have 25 embroidery artists to assist me.
Oligoville: How did you come up with the idea of doing embroidered jewelry?
Dori: After years of practicing textile design, we moved to Paris, where I studied painting at the Academie de Port-Royal. It was a period of exploration; I was looking for new ways to express myself. Among other things, I was experimenting with collages from textile materials. This is how the soutache cords landed on my desk. From there on, the road to jewelry was fairly short. I started with small color compositions in textiles, which evolved into my first creations, beautiful lapel broaches. With time and experience, I developed a needlework technique which is suitable to the creation of the small or larger pieces of passementerie that are used to make my jewelry. More important, the technique could be [taught]. Today, at my Studio, I have a team of experienced embroidery artists; some have been with me for more than 10 years.
Oligoville: Who and/or what inspires you?
Dori: Inspiration is not a button you press and hoopla, there it is. It is the accumulation of memories and experiences “burned onto the disk.” There is Art, scenery, markets, travel and thelittle things that catch and hypnotize the imagination. When I design a new collection, it is the new colors of the season that turn me on. Especially, new materials that come to my desk, but also older ones, from my endless stashes, that have suddenly seemed to mature for the collection.

Oligoville: What’s 24 hours like in your life?
Dori: At 6:30 am I take a walk [for an hour or more] in the park near our home. Then the day starts, toward 9 am. with an espresso and croissant at our nearby corner café on the boulevard. These are the quality moments of the morning that we share with my husband and partner, Giora. Though we work together, we do it at two different locations, so we rarely see each other during the day. The day is usually related to the atelier, design, customers, suppliers, materials etc.
Evening is time with my friends, or to see a movie or a concert or modern ballet, or for a quiet moment at home watching TV or reading.
Oligoville: What’s in your closet? What are you wearing right now?
Dori: Right now I’m wearing a bathing suit, slacks, t-shirt and a straw hat; I’m on my way to the beach, a few minutes walk from home. Otherwise, I collect clothes. I don’t shy away from markets and flea markets. . .I wear [clothes] with a twist, such as a man’s tie, Oldstar baskets in various colors, scarves, my jewelry, and I love hand-held fans.

Oligoville: What’s in your bag (or backpack or satchel) right now?
Dori: Right now, it’s a beach towel, sun-block cream, mineral water, and the weekend’s papers and magazines.
Oligoville: What has been the most rewarding part of your career?
Seeing my jewelry shown and worn worl wide, across geography and cultures. Maybe, a visit to Japan, to launch a new collection and meet with ladies who are real fans of mine, was one of the most inspiring events of my career. It dawned on me how many friends I have earned through my jewelry.

No comments:

Freelance Jobs